Sunday, March 22, 2009

Family Movie. . .and a few tears

marley-and-me

Last night, Phil and I sat down with the pups to watch Marley and Me. Maui curled up on my chest and fell asleep, while Moose sat on Phil's lap, staring at the screen, watching Marley's antics (I hope he didn't get any ideas!) It really was a wonderful movie, but by the end I was crying so hard I could hardly breathe. It was so sad and unfortunately, so true. At the very end, Owen Wilson (John Grogan) said something about dogs that I absolutely love. . . .

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes or designer clothes. . .a water-logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special. . . how many people can make you feel extraordinary?"

How true is that? I'm not going to get all sentimental and mushy, but I just have to put out there what a joy it is to have dogs. They can be as trying as children (I imagine) and certainly test your patience (and your home's carpeting :-)) when they're little, but it's so worth it. There is just nothing like coming home after a long, stressful day to a pup that is so happy to see you they can hardly stand it. . .they never judge, and never try to give advice. . .they just listen to your troubles and give big, sloppy heartfelt kisses.
Moose & Maui were so stinkin cute when they were babies (not that I'm biased!) Here's a few of my favorite shots from their teeny tiny days when we were first married (and before I knew anything about photography or had an SLR camera. . .please forgive the "snapshots" :-) )!

Baby Moose Feb. 2005
misc 711
Baby Maui Oct 2005
maui & Taias wedding 0161
Sleeping on the floor 2005
maui & Taias wedding 124
They helped us wash dishes
Moosie Snow 026
and listen to Dad as he played guitar
2006
Moosie 7-14-05 001
Moosie and Phil, saturday afternoon nap 2005
misc 765
Fall came
2005
maui & Taias wedding 102
Then winter. . .
Moosie Snow 019
And summer trips on Glen's boat
2006
maui & Taias wedding 075
Car rides. . .
2006
Moosie 7-14-05 010
and LOTS of snuggles
2006
november 2005 027
Now. . .Maui is 3 and Moose is 4 --- All grown up!
003
002

1 comment:

e. broderick photography said...

Oh. My. God. They were (and are) so adorable! I cannot imagine them so tiny and sweet. Love the shot of them sleeping on the floor with Phil-Who-Drives-a-Volvo-on-Occasion.

(hee, hee--couldn't resist.) Especially the little paw Moose has thrown over Maui's little body. And of course Snoopy Moose. Another favorite.